Friday, November 13, 2009

Things We've Learned - #12: Naps are an Enigma

We've been told you can't making a baby sleep if he/she isn't tired. True. We've learned that statement applies to toddlers and preschoolers, too. Napping is necessary for a child's health and development, but sometimes it even helps mom. Don't act like you don't know what I am talking about. :o) Some quiet time or alone time can sure refresh the spirit or help clear the mind.

It is fun to watch where children can fall asleep. Babies can fall asleep just about anywhere. Right now, Landon seems to be a cat-napper and does fall asleep anywhere. We've never had a child fall asleep eating dinner or other unusual place, though I've seen pictures of kids who do. Eliana used to be a very good napper, taking at least an hour-and-a-half nap and occasionally up to three hours. It's too bad we didn't know in advance when that would be. We may have finished a big project or two!

Sneaking in to see what item has been chosen as a napping partner is fun. Of course, snapping a picture could also mean the end of the nap. For the most part, we have been somewhat flexible about naps meaning that if we have an obligation or something planned, naps end up in the van or not happening at all. And sometimes Eliana has chosen to skip a nap (Too bad we don't know about those in advance either.). Today was one of those days. She colored, put on fancy dresses, and sang Zaccheus. She's was a busy little bee. Below are some photos of our napping adventures.






Caught her! This stroller was obviously
too close to her crib during nap time.
It turns out that both of our children
like to nap with their arms up.
This was supposed to be nap time.

"Mommy, I'm not tired."
After fighting her nap, this is how I found
Eliana ten minutes before James got home.
Hold on tight!


We do realize that at some point, of course, the naps will cease altogether (Well, at least until they realize that they want/need them at our age.).

I think I need a nap...

No comments: