Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Things We've Learned - #7: Imitation is the Sincerest Form of Flattery

No matter what you call it: copying, imitation, emulating or mimicking, most children do this pretty early in life. There are also many forms of imitating, such as patterns of speaking, word choices, and actions in various forms. Pictures will show only the actions Eliana chose to imitate, but the word choices and patterns of speaking keep us in stitches most of the time. At some point, Eliana picked up a bit of a Southern drawl and has used it quite a bit recently.









On a more serious note, imitating friends, strangers, or even family (particularly Eliana's parents) is a HUGE eye-opener and requires a great deal of explanation/teaching, humility, wisdom, and biblical discernment. We sometimes hear the phrase, "Do what I say, and not what I do." That should not be the case with us as Christian parents. "My son, give me thine heart, and let thine eyes observe my ways" (Proverbs 23:26). This verse in Proverbs is a constant reminder to us as we rear Eliana.

1 comment:

Rebekah Downs said...

Those are so cute! I love the one with her wearing the tool belt. Jason was looking at the pictures with me, and I said to him, "Oh, so that's how James dresses around the house." =) Do they make onesies that big? LOL!!! =)