Having a child is a blessing, but periodically the responsibilities of teaching/training, entertaining, and general daily events can sometimes "get to me." Praise the Lord for a God who knows every detail about us, including our weaknesses. Just when my perspective or attitude seems to need adjusting, God will remind me of a verse, use someone to steer me in the right direction, or allow me to observe something that will change my focus. Such was the case recently.
Eliana and I were cruising the mall when I spotted a mom and her daughter. The mom was pushing her daughter (who was no more than a year old maybe) in a stroller, but it was obvious that there was no interaction taking place. Resting on the front of the stroller was a portable DVD player. The child was completely absorbed in the movie and the mom was completely absorbed with herself (thus the Adult ADD title - attention deficit toward daughter). What I saw saddened me, but it also refreshed my mind and encouraged me to have the proper parenting perspective.
Eliana is truly a delight, a blessing, a miracle, and an answer to prayer (even though she is two! :o) ). At this age, there is much interaction, much energy, much reproving, and much prayer taking place. Yet there is also much fun, many memories, new experiences, and lots of laughter. And, no matter how overwhelming all of it can be at times, I know a God who hears my prayers, understands my weaknesses, and can change my perspectives to SOMEONE HIGHER than myself.
"From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I." (Psalm 61:2)
4 comments:
I am so glad you posted this. Something similar happened to me yesterday. Peter had me read this article about a neglected little girl and the outcome of her case. She was adopted by good Christian parents and the ending was as nice as it could be. But it got me thinking about how thankful I am that God has given me the privelge to raise a child for His honor and glory.
AMEN!!! The sad realization is that it's not just the world that is neglecting their children. There are so many "Christians" doing the same thing, and it is truly disheartening.
I read a similar (or maybe the same) article as what Julie mentioned above, and I literally cried and ached inside for that poor child.
Thank you for the reminder that we are just human with many faults and weaknesses but that we have a Heavenly Father who loves us, understands our failures and is there to lift us when we fall.
Then the children hit their preteen years and the parents wonder what happened, why they act up or don't talk. Busy-ness is the enemy of any Mom - and you can be so busy at home you neglect the children there too!
What a great post. Sometimes we all need to be reminded of what an incredible God we do serve and that He is everfaithful to help us in the everyday dealings with our children. Sometimes in the hecticness of life we can miss the "little things" that our kids do, and miss the opportunities to develop them into God's kind of people.
Post a Comment