At least three times my dad was deployed to Antarctica (three months at a time) and missed several year birthdays, so we began celebrating half-birthdays. (One time while explaining this tradition to somebody, this person asked me to figure out when their half-birthday was! Funny, huh?). Each time a half-birthday came for any of the kids, we were able to pick a restaurant to go out to dinner with dad. There was usually a small gift involved also. This was just dad and daughter or dad and son time, which is one of my favorite childhood memories.
James and I are continuing that tradition with Eliana (except the military part!). The dinner out with dad hasn't started just yet, but we do celebrate Eliana's half-birthday every September 28 and have added one element to it. I make a half-cake to commemorate the day. Thankfully the cakes (though there have been only two so far) have gradually improved.
Thank you, mom and dad, for starting such a wonderful and memorable family tradition! Dad, can we go out to dinner tonight? :o)
4 comments:
That is so sweet! I would have never thought to do that. Of course, at this point, we would be having cake every month! LOL! =)
Family traditions are great! It's nice thinking back on all the traditions we enjoyed as kids, but it's even better being able to share those traditions with your own kids. You guys are doing great! Eliana is a very blessed, little girl!
That is a great tradition. I love the cake too.
What a great tradition. I love her face in the 2nd picture. She looks thrilled.
What a great idea!! I am glad you were able to carry that fun and special tradition on with your own daughter!!
Post a Comment