Friday, September 25, 2009

Memorizing Scripture

Quite a few of the verses that I remember well I learned in song format. The older I get, the harder it seems to memorize. However, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." If God wants me to hide His Word in my heart, then He will give me the strength to do it. As I watch Eliana learn verses, I am amazed at her absorption rate and desire to do more memorizing of my own.

Before her new Truth Trackers class started this month and by the age of three, Eliana had already memorized about 14-16 verses. Eliana's excitement continues to build about her Truth Trackers class and she has memorized three verses in three weeks. James and I are memorizing them right along with her.

For the past couple of years I have chosen a Psalm to memorize during the year. This year I am working on Psalm 112 (This Psalm contains ten verses and I am on verse eight with only three months left in this year. At Eliana's rate, I should have already memorized thirty-eight verses!) It is truly a joy to watch Eliana memorize Scripture, but also apply it. (We could all use some improvement in this area, I think.) Tonight as Eliana entered an unlit room to put her shoes away, I heard her quote Psalm 56:3: "What time I am afraid I will trust in Thee." What a thrill to my soul!

Here are the verses Eliana has learned since starting her Truth Trackers class. (I opted not to type out the entire verse.)

Proverbs 4:20
Ecclesiastes 9:17
(We love the way Eliana says Ecclesiastes! The
verse for this next week is in Deuteronomy, which
is humorous also.) :o)
2 Corinthians 1:11
(Funny how Eliana felt the need to fix her hair
just right for this one!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awesome - and her applying it is so neat!